So you’ve been managing your own rental properties and it’s beginning to be a hassle. Then someone mentions the Fair Housing Act which, they say, may affect your rental properties and things get more confusing. Knowing the facts is important and Far West Realty would like to present some of the facts about the Federal Fair Housing Act that may affect rental properties in Prescott.
In the rental of a property, the Federal Fair Housing Act states that no person in the business of renting or leasing real estate, may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Deny a dwelling
- Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
- For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
- Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing
There are additional laws pertaining to those with a handicap who wish to rent your property:
- Has a physical or mental disability (including hearing, mobility and visual impairments, chronic alcoholism, chronic mental illness, AIDS, AIDS Related Complex and mental retardation) that substantially limits one or more major life activities
- Has a record of such a disability or
- Is regarded as having such a disability
The landlord may NOT:•Refuse to let you make reasonable modifications to your dwelling or common use areas, at your expense, if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing. (Where reasonable, the landlord may permit changes only if you agree to restore the property to its original condition when you move.)
- Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices or services if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing
As an individual, it is often hard to keep up with all of the changing laws relating to a rental property. As professional property managers, it is part of our responsibility to assure that we keep up with the ever-changing laws relating to rental property and to make sure all of the properties we manage abide by those laws.
Why not make 2018 the year that you eliminate the stress of managing your own Prescott area rental property and call the professionals at Far West Realty? Dial 928-772-9400 to discuss having them manage your property.